On Saturday I cut my cycle short. After 5 hours battling my bike into the wind and through gusts in a 50 km/h south easter wind, I had just had enough. But while I cycled I saw the parallels with South Africa at the moment.
2008 is South Africa's bleakest year since 'hope' was released with Nelson Mandela in 1994. Since then, and through growing pains, optimism has grown alongside our economy. But last year things started changing; we started the year with petrol, diesel, gas and water shortages (because Thabo didn't plan). And this year we have electricity shortages (because Thabo didn't plan) and we have run out of ethical, moral, intelligent and patriotic leadership (because Thabo didn't plan.....there's a pattern here!?) ....and so, with justification, there's a gloom, not seen for a while, hanging over the country.
My point is this - Rudyard Kipling wrote a widely revered poem called ' If ' :
If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs......
......
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!
The wind was blowing when I left home, I knew what I was in for, I could have done what most people did and stayed in bed, but I got in a 5 hour ride - and parts of it were great - so my point is.....it's very easy to get bogged down in the mass negative thinking that abounds in South Africa at present, but focus on your own life, your own goals, stay positive, avoid the negative......and around you things will change and get better.......
And guess what......after 'that ride' in 'that 50km/h storm', 'that thought, 'that' mindset.....
....the next day the weather was perfect.....
(check "website & blog links >>" for the full poem)
Monday, February 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment