Thursday, March 27, 2008

....reflections....

On reflection, my journey to IronMan actually started 8 years ago, when I decided during yet another endless bout of bronchitis, to step off the path of pharmacies, doctors and drugs to treat my asthma. I remember it clearly, in an 'aha' moment of sudden clarity I said to myself "enough! there has to be a better way". So with no knowledge of any other form of healing or treatment, I started out in blind faith on a new health path on 1st September 2000 (Spring Day, here in South Africa - very appropriate). My journey led me to Vicky, my trusted Accupuncturist, Doctor of alternative medicines and friend. Vicky has led me through 8 years of an incredible journey of healing, learning and spiritual understanding. Without those 8 years, I could not have even considered training for IronMan. Thank you very much Vicky.

This is where my incredible journey started and with only 16 days to go till the big day, I have very mixed feelings...... .
I took a decision on some knowledge of my brother Andrew's IronMan experience, but as he lives in New Zealand I was unfortunately not as close to his race as I would have liked to have been.
Ashleigh was sponsored by Puma for her first IronMan and her words in this Puma advert in Runners World magazine "It was eight months filled with enlightenment, frustration and accomplishment....the benefits and learnings will remain with me for the rest of my life." that made me commit to the goal. I made that decision purely on faith again. And I am really grateful that I did ! Training for my first IronMan has been an incredible experience ! The journey has given me way, way more than I could ever have imagined. When I started out, becoming an IronMan on race day was my goal and it took Ashleigh's message to make me realise that I should focus on the journey to my goal. I have come through 180 degrees, beause this journey has been so incredible, that I am now wondering how the actual race day can top it ! From what I have heard, it will be absoluetly awesome, but I cannot see it, so I am again taking it on faith.... .
The other great decision that I made at the beginning of this journey, was blogging it.....it has been great documenting my progress and sharing it with you. It really has added another dimension to my journey. Thank you for your support.... .
But now as race day looms (16 days to go and inside the 17 day 'training window') I am actually very sad that my journey is over, as there will always only be one 'my first IronMan'.
I have been training for nearly 6 months in total now, the last 4 months have been training twice per day and my body is showing signs of wear; (if you are the "oooh too much info" type, please skip ahead to the next paragraph now!)....I have a slight chest cold from running into a cold south easter before work, I have sores on my chest from my heart rate monitor, my nipples are still sensitive after bleeding on a long run the other day and I have a toenail which is blacker than Robert Mugabe's heart, which I hope stays on till after IronMan....but these don't bother me, because I know that I earned them all ! (and I am sure that I will be 'good to go' shortly! ....and I have a new respect to women with young babies!! :-) ).
I still have to get to Port Elizabeth, then on race day, swim through the 'war zone' of 2,000 other competitors and finish the bike course and run my first 42km marathon after over 8 hours of swimming and cycling, to actually become an IronMan but I can already understand, what people are telling me, that "IronMan changes your life" and "after IronMan, you can do anything".
I realised yesterday morning that I have spoken to many IronMan finishers, but never actually seen an IronMan finishing medal...WOW...I am really looking forward to seeing 'my one' first!
It's quite wierd actually, 6 months ago I was worried that I may not be able to finish IronMan and my thoughts were of concern, now I am confident of finishing (barring any major problems of course), but I am still the same person!
But when all is 'said and done' the biggest thing that I can take away from this journey, is this: If I believe that the goal that I am setting for myself is achievable, then I am not aiming high enough! From now on I will strive to always have goals that I cannot believe are possible initially, because that is where the excitement is.... .

No comments: