Most 'self-help' books will tell you to "find your passion"...... I know, because I've read loads of them (though the authors will never tell you how to find your passion, but that's a whole new subject!)
I love riding my bike. Yesterday I went cycling again in 50km/h winds. I wanted to cycle far enough to test my nutrition plan for the 180km race day, so I had a basic plan of where I wanted to ride and a basic distance in mind......
I first headed to Cape Point (straight into the strong wind) and reached there eventually. To show how strong the wind was, I reached Cape Point with an average speed of only 20km/h. There I turned and rode right across Cape Town to Melkbostrand, then across to a third 'outer limit of Cape Town, Durbanville ..... then home.....175km later.
Here is my point; I got so involved in my cycle and the enjoyment of it, that somewhere I completely forgot about the wind! I guess that for nearly 8 hours I had "found my passion" and was living it. "When you are living your passion, life is good and your problems are diminished"....maybe the books are right......?
When I got home I went for a short 5km 'brick run' (so called because in triathlon; during the early stages of the run leg, which follows the cycle; your legs feel like bricks, so training for this is called a 'brick run'). Heres the joke..... after nearly 8 hours and 175km on a bike saddle, followed by a short 5km run, a neighbour asks me when I get home "how can you run in this wind?"!
The following day the weather was perfect (again), but this time it didn't bother me at all..... my previous day had been perfect in every way......
Sunday, March 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
The term "brick" has multiple claims of origination/derivation. Among those is the derivation from a partial anagram of Bike-Run. Also, it may simply be a descriptive term for how your legs feel for the first part of the run. Another is credited to Mark Sisson and Scott Zagarino (1988), who associated the term brick with the idea of "Just another brick in the wall"... as noted in a song by the group "Pink Floyd". Another association of this term has been claimed to originate from a New Zealand athlete by the name of Matt Brick
:) J
Post a Comment