Funny thing decisions, we agonise over "should we...?", "shouldn't we...?", "what are our options...?", "what happens if...?" .......
This morning on my way to work, three blocks from my quiet suburban home, I passed 3 security vans and a police van, all still with alarming blue lights circling, with a criminal handcuffed to a lamp post like a trophy for all to see. I wondered if he was he caught hijacking a vehicle, stealing, murdering or raping? I don't know, and while I have always been aware of that one's life can be changed badly forever in a split second by the crime in South Africa, it was not pleasant being reminded of this so ividly on a Monday morning. So, did this prompt my decision making? Probably. It's amazing how all the things that you learn in your life and all the experiences that you have, all seem to come together at a particular point in time.
So, with that little background, I made three decisions, all that have been pending for a while, duing a short 40 minute run tonite. And now that I have made them, I wonder why I didn't make them earlier!
Firstly, I decided that I needed to start this blog.... and no, I am not a techy, I have never even contributed to a blog before.....but hey, that's what this blog, and life, are all about.....learning new things and growing. Imagine if your that tree that you planted didn't grow, or your daughter didn't grow? You would be very concerned! Yet we pay so little attention to our own growth as people....
Secondly, I must fax my entry to IronMan South Africa. As Shaun said "You just gotta commit, then go for it". (I have been 'training toward IronMan' because I just was not sure if I could finish it). We all know that Shaun is correct !
Thirdly, now that I have committed, I need to share this dream with my family. I am very fortunate to be part of a loving, supportive and close family and I know that my parents, my brother Andrew and 'sister' Traci (who my brother wisely chose to fall in love with and marry), will want to share this journey with me. And I can really use their support! My brother Andrew has completed two IronMan triathlons, but I was unfortunately not able to support him because he moved from South Africa to New Zealand 11 years ago.
So through this blog I hope to keep my eye on the big picture - sharing lifes lessons and enjoyment with you while I train for my first IronMan; so far everything that I have learned about life seems to condense into very day of training. I hope that through sharing my journey that even if I can can inspire, teach what I have learned, and / or amuse just one person, I will feel that this blog added to someones life, just as many people have added to mine...... Actually, I don't believe anyone inspires anyone else, thy just nurture a seed that is already in you and give you the belief that what you are dreaming can be done.
I just want to offer you something positive that you can use to improve your life.
Monday, January 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment